Thursday, October 28, 2010

Megumi Fujii: Article

There are 22 reasons most mixed martial arts observers consider Megumi Fujii the finest female fighter on the planet. Thursday night the 36-year-old Japanese darling, all 115 pounds of her, expects that number to grow by one. By first-round submission, no less.

"When I got my 21st win people started to mention that if I got my 22nd win it would be MMA's first 22-fight win streak," Fujii said Wednesday with the help of a translator. "That's when I started accepting and recognizing that I am the best female fighter in the world."

Win 22, a slick armbar submission against Lisa Ward, set Fujii up for the most important bout of her impressive, underappreciated career, which began in 2004 and has unfolded at a steady clip ever since. Opposite Fujii in the finals of Bellator's inaugural tournament for women competing at 115 pounds, California's Zoila Frausto (9-1) has an opportunity to accomplish something no other woman has done: defeat Mega Megu.

To read the entire article click here

No comments:

Post a Comment